Saturday 20 November 2010

Creative cataloguing

Brunella Longo says: "cataloguing is going to be transformed in a process more and more technologically driven but, at the same time, it will become incredibly more discretional and creative" (I am quoting from her piece here: http://bit.ly/titleproper) and while I am all in favour, as I have said before, of cataloguers using their judgement and common sense, it was "creative" that brought me up short. I don't think of creativity in cataloguing as an unmixed blessing (in snippier moments I have used it as a term of abuse: "Hmmm - bit creative, that"). Too often it looks more like sloppy thinking or a skewed perspective that with hindsight appears perverse.

Brunella also says, "It is not just how good you are at cataloguing rules learned through your librarianship school or how good you are at managing cataloguers, copy-cataloguing services and paraprofessionals on a job rotation basis". Well - isn't it? (I admit to being biassed, as this is pretty much how I spend my working days).

While none of us want to be unquestioning drones, and many of us will think that some of the rules we use are not as helpful as they might be, the fact is that by using the same standards and applying them consistently, we help each other and our users by providing data that can be recognised and shared across services. Surely mavericks end up creating silos?

1 comment:

  1. I read your blog post for the first time Today (2 Feb 2012) and only incidentally, whilst I was looking for traces of some comments of mine that seem deleted / removed from the websites where I posted them. You should have sent me an email, I would have read it and maybe replied earlier. You quoted out of context (and without providing any link to the whole text) just a sentence I wrote in an article about the transformation of cataloguing processes, roles and businesses.
    I have also found Today, whilst searching for other documents online "participated" by multiple authors, that among several concepts and questions / answers I shared during a conference last year only few words have been reported in the final report of the same conference: in that choice of those few words there is an editorial choice that does not represent my thoughts, neither my main area of expertise nor the contributions I gave to the debate.
    So, here we are. When I say "creative cataloguing" I mean a new process that we really need in computer mediated environments, based on the creation of trustful mechanisms to preserve the integrity of the data, to make people able to find words and thoughts of other authors with the guarantee of the persistency of their original meaning and the respect due to everybody. Here is the challenge for any metadata and cataloguing standard.

    Thank you very much for the citation, at any rate. The blog you were referring to was hacked and bombarded with denial of services requests last year and (not only for that reason) I suspended it and then removed from ResearchGate platform. It is now archived at http://www.brunellalongo.it/brublog.

    ReplyDelete